Do you know what types of mold can invade your home?
From flooding to roof damage, there is a myriad of reasons why mold can enter your home. What’s important is recognizing it, and dealing with it right away. But if you’ve never experienced mold in your home before, you might not know the different types. Or how to spot them.
Don’t worry, we’re here to help! Read on for this guide to the most common types of molds in homes.
A lot of mold in your home needs water intrusion and moist conditions to thrive. Aspergillus/ Penicillium is different, it can thrive in moderate humidity and dry conditions.
The health impacts of this mold type are allergy-like symptoms. These include:
- hay fever
- respiratory infections/irritation
The color of this mold will range from greys and whites to blue or green shades. You’ll most likely find it on household dust, fabrics, wallpaper, and wallpaper glue.
If you notice on your bedding, replace it immediately. You can use companies like VisionBedding so you don’t lose that personal touch. Or compromise your room’s aesthetic appeal.
Chaetomium is a type known as a marker mold. This means it’s one of the signs you have water intrusion in your home. Symptoms you may notice may be asthma flare-ups and hay fever. It can also cause onychomycosis, which is a nail infection.
It can also induce:
- memory loss
- issues balancing
- acid reflux
It needs a damp, moist surface like wood or textile to thrive. The most common place to find it though is moist sheetrock. To look at, it might have the appearance of a black or brown dirt smear.
This type is an allergenic mold. You’ll find it most often under sinks, on shower bases, and bathtubs. It likes to live where water and dampness will linger.
This mold is identifiable from the soft-velvet look and its brown hair-like filaments. Getting this in your airways may trigger asthma-like symptoms. Especially if you suffer from allergies.
It may even cause upper respiratory disorders, though for some people it might have no effect at all. This type of mold can spread fast, so if you spot it don’t waste time.
Use an all-purpose cleaner with bleach. Or you can get a cleaner that’s specific for mildew and mold. Use this and wipe it away before it takes hold and spreads.
This type of mold is one of the most common types all over the world. It will produce the same symptoms as mentioned for Aspergillus/ Penicillium. On top of this, you might notice a postnasal drip, hives, and dry skin.
It comes in a wide variety of colors, including:
- olive green
You’ll find this type of mold on anything from textiles and wood, to moist window sills. It’s more common if you have windows also suffering from interior condensation.
Mucormycetes mold is a filamentous type. This means it will first look white and fuzzy, or like pale grey puffs of long hair. As it sets and ages, it will darken in color.
You’ll find it’s common in plants and soil. How it gets into your home is when you carry in spores during summer and fall on shoes and clothing.
When it gets inside, it’ll thrive on materials like vegetables and fruit. But it can also thrive in drip pans and condensation lines of your HVAC system.
This is a strong allergenic mold, and breathing it in can trigger an asthma attack. Even if you’re healthy, it can also cause difficulty in breathing.
For those who have weak immune systems and allergies, it can be even more harmful. It can cause mucormycosis, which is a fungal infection. Mucormycosis affects the eyes, nose, and brain.
Make sure you check and clean your HVAC system on a regular, monthly basis. Also, don’t let old fruit and veg go bad. Remove them from your home to reduce the chance of this mold gaining a footing in your home.
The more common name for this is toxic black mold and it’s infamous for good reason. Much like Chaetomium, it needs water intrusion to thrive and start growing.
You’ll most likely find it on materials that have cellulose in them. This includes paper products, straw, wicker, jute, and sheetrock. It has a wide range of symptoms, including:
- allergy symptoms
- brain fogginess
- mental impairment
- anxiety & depression
- shaking & seizures
- burning feeling in the mouth, nose, throat, and eyes
As its common name suggests, Stachybotrys is black. But not all black mold is this type. Get it tested if you’re not sure to be safe.
Ulochladium is another mold that will spring up after water ingress or flooding. This mold is also black and can grow with other mold types like Stachybotrys. To an untrained eye, both these types can look exactly the same.
To survive, this type of mold needs to have a constant water supply. Once materials start to dry out, Ulochladium will likely die off. But note it can lay dormant and reactivate if those materials get wet again.
It can cause respiratory issues like hay fever if it’s an allergenic strain. If it’s a pathogenic Ulocladium, it can cause severe respiratory issues. Especially for asthma suffers or people with weak immune systems.
If you think you have this kind of mold, call in a remediation expert. They’ll check it’s not actually toxic black mold, and help you fix the issue.
This mold will appear white in color as it starts to grow. Over time, it will get a dark grey or green color to it. If you don’t spot it for a while, or ignore it, it can cause serious structural damage.
Trichoderma gives off an enzyme that’s destructive to paper, wood, fabrics, and so on. It will grow and thrive in carpet, wallpaper, fabrics, and similar materials.
So long as there are high humidity and moisture, it can grow anywhere. Including HVAC air ducts, conditioning filters, and other damp places. It can also come as an after-result of flooding.
Some types of Trichoderma aren’t toxic, while others are harmful to people. Toxic varieties can cause liver and pulmonary infections. With prolonged exposure, it can cause respiratory issues too.
Types of Molds You Won’t Want to Ignore
So, there you have it! Now you know these common types of molds, you know what to look for in your home.
While some types are non-toxic, most can have an impact on your health. Especially if you or a family member have respiratory issues or low immune systems. If you spot anything, don’t ignore it. Call in an expert to identify the mold and treat it immediately.
If you found this article helpful, check out our other blog posts today!